Monday, March 14, 2016

Making the Sofa Slipcover

Good Monday Mornin'!
I finally tried my hand at making a slipcover for our old sofa. I have been covering our sofa for some time now. Honestly, from the time we moved from our old home to this home. When I bought this sofa I was really into a red, white and blue kind of theme and it also went well with the other house but this home's interior. Our present home has several rooms with and old gold-in-tone wallpaper. I do love the paper but it has definitely made for some changes in my color choices and sometimes it's been downright hard to match.I have also had a whole brew of kids that have piled onto the sofa along with a few dogs along the way. 
I have lusted and longed for a new sofa on different occasions but something has always come up or got in the way about the time I would have went through with a purchase of a new one. Many years, I have used a fairly inexpensive one I had bought from a big-box store and it served it's purpose but with wear and tear has gave out.
So, I have found myself joining the slipcover craze!
I truly like the look of slipcovers and find it to be a great option for me. I started out slip-covering the dining table chairs, then my husbands recliner...yes, it was worn out too. Now I've ventured to the big girl, the sofa.
For a first go of it I'm pretty pleased.

The sofa pattern before.

I have been fortunate in finding a large quantity of this beige fabric. It isn't burlap or linen but it has a very natural feel and a pretty hardy texture. I'm thinking it's going to hold up real well. It's also super cozy for sitting and t.v. watching.

I took a cheating way with these pillows. My pillows always seem to take a beating so I opted to not spend to much time on theme. I simple covered them with fabric a little larger than the pillow itself and tied knots all the way around to secure it. I can easily change them to something else when I wish.

The sofa pictured here looks a bit frumpy. I gave my self some wiggle room when I patterned out my pieces. The thing I had noticed with whatever slipcover I had used in the past was that if it was too fitted it would basically wiggle itself off  or the ones that weren't fitted ended up looking like an unmade bed.
When it was all sewn and done I'm quite satisfied with the way it turned out.

Thanks for dropping by. I wish you could sit a spell.
My best hopes for you on your projects as well.
Be Blessed!