Monday, June 20, 2016

Star Covered Cherry Pie

Hey Ya'll!
I hope you've all had a wonderful Father's Day Weekend.
I sure did!  
I baked up a simple cherry pie, I thought I'd share with you.
Star Pie Recipe

This is just a no-brainer kind of recipe. I just tweeked my basic 2-crust pie shell  with a little bit of granulated sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I generally use the Crisco Butter flavored shortening. It always proves to give me good butter results. I am still using White Lilly All Purpose flour these days. I can't seem to remember to pick up some Martha White when I'm in a neighboring county. 
I'm not quite sure why neither grocer we have here in Stuart will offer Martha White All Purpose but until they do White Lilly is the next best thing.





I really enjoy making pie crust. I think it's probably the kid in me. I'm the get in there with your hands kind of girl.
Just cut your shortening in until it's about the consistency of cornmeal.
That's about the texture I like to see.






Take note to use ice water. Your shortening will work a little more to your liking as well if it's chilled just a bit. Just enough to take the smushiness out.
You've added enough water when your dough will sort of follow you around the bowl and sticks together. If it's too moist it will be difficult to work with.





Form into a ball and divide in half.
Fold up your dough, set it in my pie dish and fluted the edges.

I filled up my pie with ready made cherry pie filling and topped with cut out stars from the crust . In the oven at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it's nice and golden.

The funny thing about this whole pie was my anger that was congered up when I put the large can of Duncan Hines Comstock Pie filling in my pie to find it was barely there. I had used this product for a long time but it simply was not enough to fill my pie. 
So...
I grab my purse and run for the nearest grocery store.(not Walmart but Lowes) to find that they don't even carry that brand at all nor do they carry a large can at all.
So... 

I purchase two regular cans of Lucky Leaf  and as luck would have it they were not the same cherries. The Comstock were bright red and the lucky leaf were dark.
So..I just kind of stirred them around om the pie.
I suppose alls well that ends well!
Have you ever had a simple pie not be so simple?

Thanks  for stopping by and sharing a little bit of pie with me.
As always
Be Blessed!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! I want a piece now! I have never made homemade pie crust but it's on my list of things to try. Yours looks beautiful and I bet it tastes even better. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicky,I am positive you will enjoy making your own pie crust. It is really very simple and it's very economical as well. The fact that you can get right into it with your hands will bring out the kid in you as well. I wish you were close enough to share a piece and a cup of coffee. I wish you a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. OK this makes me hungry for some pie :) I have not had a good pie since I moved from Kentucky to Germany last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kentucky to Germany seems like a big transition. Thank you for stopping by for a visit. Best wishes for a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. Stunning and scrumptious, I'm sure, Lynn! Kudos!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea! I LOVE the ideas of stars on the top of your pie! I think I need to copy you!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment. I hope you have a wonderful Independence Day.

      Delete
  5. cherry pie is my favorite...and i made a simple strawberry pie just yesterday ...followed the recipe ...did just what it told me to do...it tasted delicious...but it never did set ...runny..what the heck..??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand the pie frustration. Maybe it's humidity. Have ya'll had the rain like we have? Sometimes that really messes with my baking. I thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful July 4th!

      Delete