Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Spencer-Penn Centre's 2nd Annual Pig Cookin' Contest

The Spencer-Penn Centre is the most amazing community center. It's not hard to tell from the picture this was once an elementary school for the Spencer, Virginia community. My Daddy actually attended here for a year or two. At that time, it was also a high school also.  As modern time and modern take on money and education the decision was made to close the school.
Of course that was followed by outrage and hurt feelings for the folks that were effected. Nevertheless, the school closed. Members of the community rallied by means I'm not quite sure of and purchased the property for use as a community center. 
I have been wanting to visit but I hadn't got to it yet. It is only about a 30 minute drive from the house. The local radio is always making mention of the monthly music night and various classes they offer, now and again but yet I still had not gotten around to going. So when the advertised their "Pig Cookin' Contest" I was interested and sure enough not committed to anything else; Mama, Jack and I road on down to check it out. 
The event was much more than just a barbecue festival. There was a car show, civil war encampment, a wonderful artist creating wood sculptures with a chainsaw, bluegrass music and cloggers, local artist, crafts, and of course the food. 
We had such a great time. I apologize for not taking more pictures but I haven't quite overcome the way folks sometimes freak-out when I pull out the camera and I mostly wanted to enjoy the moment.
I think I was most impressed with the way they have utilized the building. Every room and piece of the property is being used. They have a library, and dance studio, they have cooking classes and basket making classes, aerobics and fitness; all while maintaining this beautiful historic building. 
I mean there will never be schools built like this anymore.
I can't wait till the next basket class comes along or music night. 
I'm ready. I'm ready!

I hope you are inspired to get out there and check out them out,
or
checkout what your own community has to offer.
It's there you just have to go.

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting!
BE BLESSED!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to go to a basket class or something like that with you some time. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let you know when they do another class. Maybe we can all do it together.

      Delete