Good Sunday Morning!
I am hoping ya'll had a wonderful and productive week.
Work has been slow at the plant so my department has had to take some additional time off.
Being big on time and short on funds was bringing me down.
Looking at the state of my bathroom was also bringing me down. Instead of focusing on what I couldn't get done I just went at the week and the bathroom with the do the best with whatcha' got mentality.
We only have one bathroom in our home; so through the years it has been used to a frazzle.
Between the kitchen, the kids rooms and the bathroom I don't know which has been repainted and repaired the most but I'm pretty sure it's been the bath. When most of the kids was home it would take some strategic planning to get anything done in here. I could have done well to have installed a revolving door . Now we're down in numbers to just The Ole' Man, Jack and Me. Getting things accomplished and keeping them that way is becoming a bit easier.
I think I have surely avoided taking pictures in the bathroom so to show some real good before and afters I'm not going to be able to do.
Honestly from looking at this picture it doesn't seem that there was a change in color at all.
Previously my walls was much more blue in tone.
To tell the real truths, the last time I painted I mixed a half a bucket of dark blue paint I had used in Jack's bedroom with a smidge of yellow paint I had left over from painting the kitchen walls. I don't know what color I could actually claim it to be but it was definitely blue.
Our bathroom was old and when I first moved in we didn't even have a shower. With that being said when the shower was added a vent fan should have been added as well.
But it wasn't...
So fighting mildew has been a real struggle.
Someday, I'm sure the ol' man will do it but until then the fight continues.
Above the shower was yucky!!
I can't even show a before picture because it was yucky!!
I would have gone nuts overs a picture of that. Even after trying numerous cleaning products and hacks off pinterest, after being cleaned the paint remained somewhat stained.
The Best cleaning hack for cleaning mold and mildew I found was plain old Hydrogen Peroxide.
I would buy the big bottle in the health and beauty department and mix about a half a bottle with two big squirts of liquid dish soap in a smallish bucket of warm water. then scrub like crazy.
It did do a good job of cleaning it.
The next big deal with this little redo was the ol' man researching the heck out of the internet and reading, who only knows how many reviews for a good primer.
What he found and bought was Zinnser's Mold Killing Primer.
Zinnser's primer was the only primer that not only claimed to cover up stains from mold and mildew but claims to continue fighting it.
The price for this primer was about $35 at our local home improvement store.
It definite covered well and I'm feeling good about it's claims.
If I become a doughter I'll let you know.
For my wall color I chose Pacific Pines Sage.
It's one of Glidden's Paint colors
to save on the dollars, I went with the Color Place Paint from Wal-Mart. Most the time I have used it in the past and it's seemed to do as well as when I've paid more for higher priced paints.
It turned out to be a true green, which I was looking for.
I trimmed out my doors and painted the ceiling with white gloss enamel. I didn't repaint my doors.
The sink vanity I painted Hedgegrove Olive. Also a glidden color with Color Place Paint.
I wish you could see the contrast as well in the picture as in person. It was definitely darker green but still gave a good harmony to the room.
I have been addicted to the stenciled and distressed furniture for some time now but an artist and a painter I'm not so I aided myself with a stencil to add the Ivy that runs up the side of the cabinet.
I lightly sanded the edged and a little here and there before the stenciling began.
I also gave the stencil and the bare wood a spray or to of clear enamel paint to just seal it from the moisture that's prone to be in the room.