Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Last Day of Summer

It's the last day of summer.
 Well no...not officially but it is the day before the new school year begins. For us in this house, when school's back in the summer is basically over. When I was in school we didn't start until labor day was over so I always get the feeling the kids are getting cheated a little. With school will come routine again and that's not such a bad thing.



It will also be interesting to see how our new pup, Roscoe will handle this change. We're still working on potty training and he's also very spoiled. He doesn't want to be alone.









I thought to do some weeding and he did too.










Curious Pup...











My helpers













           Giggles are wonderful.










A tuckered out Roscoe.









What's for lunch?
Fried everything!
I started out making some home fries and I thought I better use that onion before it goes bad 
and then there was green tomato that was knocked off by the rain....
and...
I might as well make something out of that left over breading. 
Hushpuppies would be great. 

For the home fries I simply washed the potatoes and sliced them long ways.
In the oil they went. 

Onion Rings can be a little tricky and I have made my share of not so great ones 
but these turned out real well.  
I started out by skinning and slicing my onion.
Next, I put about 2 cups of self-rising flour (Martha White) and 1/2 cup of  self-rising cornmeal in a large mixing bowl and stirred it with a wisk.
Place onion rings into flour mixture. They will get very lightly coated take them out onto  another bowl or plate.
Then, I added a big tablespoon of mayonnaise  and stirred in water until mixture was a good batter.
Dip coated onion rings back into the batter and  you are ready.
I fried mine in a deep fryer with a lid but I kept the lid open and placed a few rings(5 or 6) in at a time using tongs. **Careful...oil is very hot***
Take the rings out when they are just brown. They will be browner out of the oil than what they look.

I had batter left over so that's when I sliced that green onion up and dipped the slices in the batter.
I cooked them the same as the onion rings.

There was still batter remaining so that's when I as a not so traditional cook put 2 squirts of ketchup in them left over batter. Stirred it up and dropped into hot oil and cooked until almost lightly brown.
**again careful..careful**

By the time we fried all that up and ate it...
You know it was raining again.


Thanks for stopping by for a visit. 
It must be time for another nap.


Be Blessed.



4 comments:

  1. Mama said they started this yesterday. I know ya'll start early, but it's still difficult for me to wrap my head around. Sarah starts 26th. Are those grapes from your vines?!?!? They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems early to me, for sure. Yeah, those are off Kelly's vines but sour...so sour.

      Delete
  2. They don't start school here until after Labor Day! I am glad.

    I was just thinking of trying onion rings so I was happy to see your recipe! Will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a little more summer with the kids. I hope the onion rings work out for you. I'm not a typical cook when it comes to alot of things. I just sort of go with it.

      Delete