Wednesday, August 26, 2015

DIY Cover-Up

Hey there! 
This morning's cooler air has put me in the need of a little something for my shoulders. My summer dresses a tops are just needing a little more. So I decided to make this little cover-up.

My inspiration came from a cover-up purchased by my daughter earlier in the Spring. I have looked at it many times on the hanger thinking I needed something similar for myself and also at how easy it would be to mock it.

The material I chose to use wasn't a lace but it was very sheer and kind of gauzy material.

Using the other garment as a guide, I folded my new fabric in half and laid  the other on top 

against the fold.
After cutting out. I ended up with a 12" X 33" rectangle.
My cover-up is sized small. If you feel you need a larger garment add a 1/2 to 1" to the size of your rectangle.

I chose a piece of satin material for the armholes and the edge. 
I cut 2 piece 4" X 18" for the armhole, doubled it and base stitched it.
For the bottom edge, I  cut 2 pieces 4" X 30" and also doubled and base stitched.

If you already had a piece of trim or notion you could definitely use it instead of the satin material.

Sew it along both long edges of the material and center it on the sides. 
When you're done you'll have something like this.
Fold fabric with right face together and pin and sew your side seams.

Turn it.
That's all there is to it!

I think I have another piece of lace that would work great for this garment.
I think I need at least one more.

Thank you  for stopping by and checking out my 
DIY for today.

Be Blessed!

3 comments:

  1. What a unique and pretty cover up! It does look very easy to make. Love the white gauze like fabric. I bet it looks great with jeans! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Vicky. It is a very simple pattern. I think it will look nice with jeans as well. It actually looks much better being worn than on the hanger. It has a very shaw-like look but the armholes keep it in place. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking my sewing project out. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Vicky. It is a very simple pattern. I think it will look nice with jeans as well. It actually looks much better being worn than on the hanger. It has a very shaw-like look but the armholes keep it in place. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking my sewing project out. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete