Friday, May 3, 2013

Bob White Covered Bridge in Woolwine

Bob White Covered Bride in Woolwine is one more reason Patrick County, 
Virginia is a wonder place to live. 




The Bob White Covered Bridge was constructed by Walter G. Weaver of Woolwine, named for the former Bob White Post Office which in turn was named after the bobwhite quails that inhabit the area. It served as an access route to the Smith River Church of the Brethren, located on the south side of the river. The bridge was bypassed to the west with a concrete bridge in 1981. Although closed to motor traffic, the Bob White Covered Bridge still attracts numerous visitors. The bridge is the site of annual horse-drawn wagon rides as part of the Patrick County Covered Bridge Festival which is held every June.








I also have a whole mess of pictures I took from around  the bridge. 
Old houses, leaning shacks, rusty old cars peaking through;
yes this is the south too.

I'm also excited about the 3rd Annual Covered Bridge Run that is happening 
June 15th. I'm hoping to get in on it this year. This should be very fun since the run begins at 
the Jack's Creek Covered Bridge that is also in Woolwine and end at the Bob White Covered Bridge.
Raising money for a good cause, visiting not one but two covered bridges, experiencing beautiful landscape that Woolwine has to offer just all seems like a win, win to me.
Thank you for stopping by for a visit.
Here's a link in case you too are interested in a 5k Run/Walk like this:
BE BLESSED!

4 comments:

  1. I love covered bridges. These are awesome pics. That sounds like the pretties 5K I believe I have ever heard of. Will Jack be doing it with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so. I might take him and if he really wanted to run it real bad but I would like to see what I could do. I also have to work that night before the race. I may end up going from work to the race. I would already be in Woolwine it seems crazy to drive all the way home. Wondering how well it will go after working 12 hours...mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! Um that does not sound fun at all. But it does not make sense to drive home. Either way it is after a 12 hour shift. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah but I wanted to do it last year and ran into similar situation. I get a little jealous when I keep missing out on events like this. Hmmm..will time or timing ever be on my side.

      Delete