Monday, November 26, 2012

Searching for Ground Cedar on Sunday

Our search for running ground cedar starts on the beaten path but we quickly take to the woods.
Start lookin' for it..you'll know you're in the right place when you see that greenery poking up through the brown leaves. The ramblin' in the woods is half the fun. Smells of the crushing dried leaves rise up and start ticklin' your nose.
 Oh we've found a good thick patch.
This is it..
When you find it start by rake the leaves back with your hand. You'll start seeing the way it runs.
Ground cedar us an evergreen and it's a vine; be gentle and start pulling it up.
We've brought some wreathes made of grapevine we're going to use them as the base. In times past I've tried different ways; I have started with just the cedar it's self but it's flimsy and your going to be wrapping for a long time. If you're not as cheap as me you could buy you a wreath base from the store to get started.


Oh no, Petey wants in on the fun.


What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon! My best cowboy, good ole Pete making a few decorations for the house. You can see that Jack wore his gloves and I suggest you put some in your pocket. I forgot mine even after reminding him to grab his. It is always sunnier at the house but once you get in the cover of the woods and do a little standing around your going to be getting cold....unless you're tough like that..Jack's already put in a request for hot chocolate and hot cup o' coffee will be right on time for me.

If you live in a place that doesn't have running ground cedar, start looking around there is surely another vine or evergreen you can use to get you Christmas on. I'm a believer of use what ya' got and doing with what the good Lord has given.
Thanks for stopping by.
BE BLESSED






9 comments:

  1. He sure looks proud of those wreaths! And he should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a trooper...I was not kidding when I said it got cold. My hand were about froze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty cool way to make a wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.This is one of those things I learned from my Mama. She amazes me with some of the things she knows. Hers really do look good but you really can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen or heard of this before ....I just love it ..I wonder if I could ever find it here in Ontario ? Sweet cowboy ! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love my little cowboy! I bet you have it up there. It's usually in the thick woods; just kick the leaves back.

      Delete
  6. I'm resharing this post from last year. I'm starting to think wreathes and evergreens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool way to gather greenery for holiday decorations. I've never heard of ground cedar, but I will look for it next time I'm in the woods. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mama would make our wreathes when we were kids out of the ground cedar. I have never known anybody but mama and me, maybe my sister, that have made them like this or even speak of ground cedar. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete