Thursday, January 23, 2014

Our Little Home Story~What's Next?


My prior husband and I bought our home in 1999; it was a bit of a fixer-upper but we saw all grades of potential. He worked in construction; I was capable and willing. We saw this as a place that could look a lot like home for a cat, two dogs, three children, and the two of us. In March of 2000, hung up my plaque and we made our move to our little Virginia home.
Bless This House
Within these bright & solid walls,
God holds a golden key;
to rooms of safety, warmth & pride,
a place called "family."

May all our days be filled with trust,
nights blessed from up above,
and as the years pass tenderly,
May this roof shelter Love.

From month to year...from friend to kin,
God Bless
the hearts that dwell within!

With all truth and a prayer, I hung my plague and sent my prayer and I am assured that my prayer has been honored. 
This three bedroom, one bath home wasn't fancy but it has been secure, warm and safe for
 all who has dwelt between these walls.

Just a few years later, my marriage ended. He left; I stayed. 
Whatever had been accomplished in our transformation of our little house was greatly halted.

Now...
I look at my house sometimes with a shake of the head 
for the things that may never be accomplished and the dreams and desires
that may never transpire...
and
Oh my word....
 The little house has managed to endure a lot of changes. 

2006 brought the Ole Man, his son, and me with a new baby boy. 
Not to bad...
Girls in one room.
Boys in another.
One bathroom means learning patients and true consideration.
For a time we also included the Ole Man's other daughter in the mix.
When you have five teenage kids and a baby, to boot, you've got a house full.
They've came, they've went, they've sometimes came back again...tantrums, fits, fighting, and just plain ignorance had left the poor house worn.
I don't say those things because I consider our children bad. I just know they are what they are.

Our three oldest have all grown their wings and moved into adulthood leaving just one son, one daughter, me and the Ole Man.

Should I dare think?
Should I dare think of all the forgotten things?
I thought...and..there's a lot of forgotten things.

I'm putting consideration to projects around here that need attention. You know the kind of things you know need to be done but instead there's something more important or more pressing that needs the attention. I would have a hard time remembering how many times I have repainted the kitchen, bathroom, and the kids rooms. My bedroom has not been repainted since I moved..eek..The front room & living room have wallpaper so I have managed to paint the ceiling and baseboards a few times.

I'm looking forward to tackling some home projects. 
I can't wait to see what can be accomplished.

Budget: Shoestring
Training: None
Ideas: A plenty

Thanks for stopping by for some of my rambling.
I'm feeling blessed and I hope you are too!




8 comments:

  1. What a history!
    It's amazing the place we all share our stories.

    Good luck with all the planning and the taking on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things that I want to change many folks would probably think simple and all things surely will be done in due time. Thanks so much for the visit and the kind words. Keep smiling!

      Delete
  2. I love your house...it is just adorable to me! Older houses have so much more character than newer ones! Your budget is very similar to mine too...and I have more ideas than will ever come to fruition but that's ok...I can dream!
    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too. I'm thankful for my home and what the Lord has given me; maybe He'll allow me to accomplish a few things, as well. It's easy to be caught up in what everyone else is doing or what other people like and loose ourselves and our own dreams. My projects probably won't look typical to others..lol..I expect it to be fulfilling for me.

      Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit. Come again!

      Delete
  3. Aaw your house is so beautiful. Love older houses too. Can't wait for updates when you have your touch on it.

    Have a lovely weekend and thanks for visiting my blog.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to drop in for a visit. Thanks you for the sweet comment. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  4. Lynn,

    I know you will work hard to make your house even prettier, warmer and more inviting for all who pass through it. You are a doer, and your shoestring budget encourages creativity and imagination, of which I believe, you have plenty! Good luck and can't wait to see the magic!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Poppy. The encouragement is welcomed.

      Have a blessed day!

      Delete